Monday, January 12, 2009

Restaurant 3: Golden Deli

Or “Mom, let’s do lunch”

With its line of people wrapped around the building waiting for an open seat, Golen Deli has become the Space Mountain of San Gabriel; but because I firmly believe that length and quality of life depend on consistent exercise and a steady diet of potent broth, I ventured into that mini-mall on Mission and Las Tunas. You see, the pho at Golden Deli soothes me, the cold noodles with pork satisfy, and the egg rolls simply inspire. When I met my mother here she wondered what made this place special from all the other Asian noodle shops that abound. Vietnam House, Pho 49, Noodle City and others litter the landscape. One bite into that egg roll answered her question. “Thanks, Mom, for raising me and giving me that neat camera.” “Shut up, Ruben, and pass the fish sauce.”

No comments:

Post a Comment