Friday, January 9, 2009

Restaurant 2: Asanebo

Or I wonder if my ex will pick up?

My other list titled “exes who wish I were dead” has grown since I rushed into the dating scene some years ago. With each passing year it strikes me how petty the disagreements that lead to a breakup. Still, at the time her “complaints about my friends” or “that annoying roommate of hers” were the worst deal breakers imaginable. How curious, then, what a cup of miso can do to salve the wounds that can come with a vicious parting of ways. The question then became inevitable: I wonder if my ex will pick up? Sandra* obviously doesn’t wish I were dead, since she agreed to my Facebook invitation. I decided to invite her to dinner which I knew would find a way to her heart. But when I offered a sushi joint in Studio City, well, that was playing unfair. She agreed to go without hesitation. Asanebo offers Japanese food in a cluttered section of Ventura Boulevard, so come early, make a reservation, wear black, and prepare to pay the valet $3.50 to park your car five feet away. I had never been to Asanebo before but I had an idea that I would be paying some real currency at this spot. And I did. But the miso with sea bass was butter, the thimble of sake I drank felt nourishing to the spirit, and the red snapper sushi hit Sandra like a vodka tonic. In short, the red snapper was great. The tuna and California rolls worked their magic, too, but I realized during our meal that patrons were eating dishes like mussels and cooked salmon. Oh, well, next time.
The star of the evening was Sandra. She looked good; she was funny, bubbly, smart, open-minded, cool, and effortless in conversation. There are women who talk too much but Sandra has that ability to talk and listen. She is that rare extravert who asks questions. We completely disagree politically but unlike other people I know, she can talk politics without throwing knives. It had been a year since I had spoken to her but by the time we called for our cars we felt caught up. And I asked her if she wanted to go out again. Gulp. What will my ex say? She said yes, as long as we keep it in the Valley. Alcazar here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment