Thursday, January 15, 2009

Chopped Review


I wanted to like “Chopped,” I really did. It’s hosted by the intelligent and now ubiquitous Ted Allen and it involves food and competition, what else do you need? The idea behind “Chopped” is sound. Chefs compete using three to five ingredients to create dishes for a group of three judges. It is “reality” in the sense that you and I are more likely to cook for three than for three hundred as is the case with “Top Chef” or “Dinner Impossible.” But the premier of the show Tuesday night suffers from a glut of these kinds of programs. That’s not the fault of “Chopped” I know, but several times I had déjà vu while watching this show, seeing visions of Tom Collichio, and Padma(well, Padma, anyway, in my dreams.) What differentiates this new show from the pack? Nothing, or at least nothing substantial. Also, Ted Allen’s skills seemed wasted on the show. He’s better served as a judge on “Iron Chef” where his opinions can be savored rather than as a host explaining rules as he does on “Chopped.” Unfortunately, Allen can no longer fill in on the “Iron Chef” panel because of a rule regarding objectivity. Of course, it is only one show and they may still be trying to find their way. I’ll be rooting for it to work and hoping for an improvement. Until this happens, I’ll be glued to “Top Chef,” which remains the best show on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment